Friday, July 11, 2014

Show #1 of Rock Star Week! Queen + Adam Lambert!


Last night was the beginning of Rock Star Week!  My favorite Rock Star buddy, Austin (also known as my youngest son) and I love going to concerts of all kinds. We have a jam-packed week ahead of us. Our first show was Queen + Adam Lambert!

I have always loved Queen, and have adored Adam ever since I saw a couple of his shows about three years ago, so this was the perfect marriage of talent for me.  Still, if I were asked if I prefer Freddie Mercury or Adam in the role of Queen’s lead singer, I honestly have to say Freddie… by a nose.  No, not a nose, a hair… the thinnest, shortest, blondest hair possible.   But Adam was just fabulous… and looked sooooo good!

Now, whenever we go to a concert, Austin always likes to get with the spirit of things. So, since this WAS Adam Lambert, he decided to wear a little “guyliner.” He thought I would be embarrassed and say I wouldn’t go with him, but I offered to let him borrow some eyeliner. Well, wouldn’t ya know it, he put it on better than I do, and I have been practicing for 40 years! It really looked good!



Austin had the 2-volume Queen Greatest Hits CD to listen to in the car for the trip there, but he forgot it. So, we had to make do by singing. You should have heard our stunning rendition of “Bohemian Rhapsody.” On second thought, you were probably better off not hearing it! Where are Pete’s Dueling Pianos and Josh Abbott when I need them?

Turns out, now that Austin has lost so much weight, he has some great high cheekbones. So does Adam. And Austin has one of those pompadour haircuts. So does Adam.  I didn’t notice the resemblance, and you can’t see it in these pictures, but the ladies at the AA Center didn’t miss it. They called him Adam, and came down to get pics with him and to dance with him in the aisles. And they all applauded me for being his mom.  I have to admit, I did raise a good kid, and even if he doesn’t want to admit it, he’s my clone!

The audience was as eclectic as I’ve seen. Older people, medium people, younger folks.  Some were there to see Queen, some to see Adam and some (like me), to see both. There was one lady in particular, kind of a larger, kinda older lady who was dancing in the aisles. During a song called “Fat Bottom Girls” a man bumped into her and almost knocked her over! I shouldn’t have, but I just had to laugh!

Adam was wonderful in the lead singer role. He has such a beautiful voice, an amazing vocal range, and tons of style! There was a big screen behind him, and he sure knew the camera was on him. Cute little smiles, eye rolls, all for effect. We had a great time singing along with him, At one point, he stopped and said, in what sounded like amazement, “I’m singing with Queen!” I thought, yeah, big deal Adam, so am I!



In the middle of the show, there was a section that Austin called “We’re in Queen too” where Adam left the stage for awhile (Bubble bath? Who knows?), and the original members of the band played some songs and showed off their talents without him.  Very impressive. I loved the song “Love of My Life.”

The best songs, according to me, were “Killer Queen” (I can imagine Queen Elizabeth lying in bed with her iPod headphones in her ears, saying “Where can I get a gunpowder guillotine?”), “Fat Bottom Girls,” and “Bohemian Rhapsody,” which despite the strange lyrics was sung beautifully.

I certainly would recommend this show to anyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment