Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Show #3 of Rock Star Week! Alice Cooper and Motley Crue!

This was a Wednesday evening show at Fair Park, which meant I had to drive 24 miles in the opposite direction to pick up Austin, my concert buddy, and then drive back 30+ miles, all in rush hour traffic. We had to drive thru downtown Dallas on the way back, and also had to deal with the Taste of Dallas traffic, not to mention the concert traffic at Fair Park.  We actually arrived at the venue at the end of the opening act, which was fine with us, since we never heard of them. There was plenty of lawn seating left, and we managed to score a spot right near the front.




The opening act for this show was Alice Cooper. I am not sure why Alice Cooper was an opening act, but he was the guy Austin and I went to see. When I was about 14, I wanted to go to an Alice Cooper show, but my dad said a resounding NO! Well, look at me now, Daddy-O, this was my fourth Alice Cooper show!

I have to say, even tho Alice was awesome, as always, we had a better experience last year on our Rock Star tour. In Tulsa, OK, we met the entire band (not Alice himself), including Orianthi. They were all very good to the fans. This year, there was no opportunity for that. But, that’s fine, we still loved the show.

I always hear people say “Alice Cooper, how OLD is he now?” like he is 100. I looked it up, he’s 66. Not old. And he doesn’t seem to be losing any of his energy or theatrical ability. I understand the show is more family friendly than it used to be (when Dad didn’t let me go-ha ha). But he still shares the stage with Frankenstein and chops off someone’s head in a guillotine.



He didn’t sing my favorite song (“Only Women Bleed”), but I wasn’t surprised about that. The best moments were the old standards “No More Mr. Nice Guy” and of course, “School’s Out.” Oh, and I can’t forget all the theatrics!  Can’t wait for the next time to see Alice!

The headliner for this show was Motley Crue, and this is their final tour. (So they say. Let’s ask Cher and the Osmonds how that goes.)  Motley Crue is a band from the 80s, when I was kinda tied up and didn’t follow much music. As a result, I wasn’t very familiar with them. In fact, I wasn’t sure I’d even like them. Well, pleasant surprise! They were (bad word alert) Kickass!  The slogan for the show was “All bad things must come to an end.”  That’s unfortunate, but it does save me some money because I won’t have to follow them around the country.  They had a much brighter sound than I expected, and a lot of energy. I was impressed that they had kept the same lineup for 32 years!



My favorite moments? “Smokin’ in the Boy’s Room.” I used to think that song was morally reprehensible, but in my old age I’ve grown a sense of humor.  I also loved “Don’t Go Away Mad” (and seriously, can’t wait to hear Eli Young Band’s version!)

No comments:

Post a Comment